March 7, 2012

Thoughts After A Year

Where do I begin or rather where should I begin? I've been here for over a year now in fact.  This actually takes me back to months before my wedding.  There were so many voices, so many thoughts and opinions and even the mention from close ones -how life would change drastically - life would not always be a bed of roses.  Well, come to think, it really hasn't struck a cord in my life. Although, time seems to be really flying by. Sometimes it feels like -  I will never have enough time with my love ones -it seems like a day has never enough hours in it, I jump out or rather roll out of bed at 8am, sleep at 12am and don't even work. What happens to my time? Something not worth worrying about I guess.  Perhaps it's a good feeling to have and to hold.
 To somehow come to realization of the importance of counting the small hours - the hours that matter the most - the ones that we mostly let slip by- the ones that actually seem trivial.

So, how does it all make sense in a foreign place, how is it that life can be such, especially when life prior was so predictable in the sense of the mundane; wake up, go to work, sleep. I guess it's the life you finally chose and keep choosing. How important it is to hide-away from the negatives and the thoughts of other peoples' norm,  experiences and expectations.  How significant are their involvement in your life? I say, close your ears to the things that are ugly and take a chance in life. You might just feel a sense of total liberation and of rather... contentment.
" If it feels good, it can't be that bad"!

The list that follows entails how I got out of my shell here in Chile and what life outside has given me  in return by just living it a bit and following my heart.
1.   I got into a language school as soon as possible - especially if  you happen to be in a foreign place like myself
2.   Ventured out - I just started walking and felt great after just 5 minutes of crossing the road from my mother-in-laws' - It was at that time, a quiet sense of satisfaction.
3.   Contacted my local embassy- there's nothing like having your peoples' back
4.   Been having familiar tasting meals once in a while - in my case, Chile's  neon sweet and sour pork did it for me during the first couple of weeks. Not any more. One gets thirsty for more.
 An Asian will always be "Asian" where food in concerned.
Luckily, Santiago has really grown in the area of Asian cuisine.
5.   Browsed around for societies or groups that i could join -expat groups etc
6.   Smiled even if at times it felt like I was from a different planet, an alien of some sort
7.   Got exercising and got out of the house- It SO makes a different even if you have full facilities at home
8.   Got hooked up to skype and got talking - oh, and had backups when the time differences came into play!
9.   I have had plenty of time-outs to relax and have had lots of "me times" - especially if you have the leisure of staying at home like myself.
10. I learnt to treasure my primordial reason of being in my situation - is it your husband? your chosen job?  your innate need to explore? I know what's mine.
11. I regularly e-mail close friends to have a sense of belonging
12. I have my your own stuff aside from the combine hubby-wife stuff- little girly get-togethers, pedicure and manicure sessions. I normally do something nice for myself once a week.
Why not live a little? Even if it's spending extra time in the shower.
13. Embarked on my own journey of finding my independence;  I learnt the trains, the buses until walking felt better than waiting for a lift.  Following someone around isn´t always fun.
14. Got a couple of new hobbies- mine thus far has been photography and trying new recipes
15. Worked on my spiritually - and no no.. I don't mean falling asleep in church every Sunday kinda thing.
16. I cut unnecessary people out of my life. We have one life ( unless you're a cat of course ;) so why spend time with people that make you feel less than perfect?

But.what if life really just sucks on a particular day? My friend asked me the other day.
 "Don't you ever just sob"?
 Well, we're largely dictated by our environment, so it's not always easy to be in la la land 24/7. For example here in Santiago, there's this annoying clown that harasses the crap out of people in the buses. Literally "a clown", you know.... a funny -looking specimen that wears a red nose sorta thing and makes a living out of, "trying" to make people laugh. Well, this particular clown,
has a totally opposite effect on me -  he just gives me the creeps.
  An environmental factor I suppose.
 I bump into him every now and then. It's funny aye how diabolical clowns can get.
 I blame it on that movie, "IT"... at least for me.
   I did answer yes to  that question my friend asked me by the way.
  Sob if you can't diffuse it.  Self-pity is helpful at times.  Best carried out during your alone time though - bathroom floor works well; the annoying echo normally shuts- you- up after a while, after of course you've realized that you're annoying yourself by just being there and making all that noise.
and hey, when you look back at your crying episode.....
you'll just smile :)
What else can you do? when everything else fails

so always believe someone has your back, because someone always does.
 With love and thoughts of this beautiful country
....in spite of Mr. Chilean Clown xx

With my cell group at Madam Tusan's - finally had dim sum after too long

At Chang Thai's- with my Wednesday eating, "Asian True blood" group:) The best Thai Restaurant to date; we met the Thai chef etc which happens to be Gerry's friend of course, her husband being Thai- lucky us!
 we received bigger portions and got the best service

Brunch Birthday do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment