May 3, 2013

Treasures

Couldn´t resist talking about my treasures. My biggest earthly treasure now is my son. The kind of treasure that drives you to want to be around it all the time, to invest in it, to give it your all.  So how is life as a mother? I always say, it´s extraordinary. It's also an extraordinary form of love.   Sometimes, I look back at my 10 year relationship with Luis, my husband and I smile, how lucky  no... how blessed was I to have met him. To know that kind of love - a partner in life to take me through its turns.. and at such a young age.
 Life seems meaningless without love.We are meant to love and to be loved.
 
 Now, I am showered with another kind of love from Luis Andrés. So distinctive, so pure, so peaceful,  something I believe you can only feel when you really want a child not even if you just have children. Just imagine. Another whole dimension to feeling "love". I´m glad Luis and I prayed for our child, and we do pray continuously for his well being. This morning Luis said to me, I pray everyday that he´ll grow up loved, he´ll grow up to be a good person. It´s so nice to have a husband that just prays. Does yours? Do you wish he does? Pray for him then.
 
Being a mom has shifted the paradigm for me. It's a great feeling to finally understand a few things that I thought I knew and understood to really feeling it to the bone now. When I think of the responsibilities as a mom, a parent, I think of how much my own mom has done for me yet at the same time pursued such an amazing career.  The biggest lesson my mom has thought me is to be focus on your current task. She left her worries at work, and left our worries at home when she went to work. This essentially is what I have taken from her. To just be at the moment with my son and my husband. The power of being in the moment.
As you can see, my earthly treasures lie within my family.
 
As mother day approaches, it's nice to share in its celebration with my own mother, my mother-in-law, to think about my grandmothers, my aunties, to relate to single mothers out there and to think about how things must have been and still is for these significant people in the world.  To have the common ground of the essentials of being a mom -  always wanting to give the best to our children. Sacrifices, I think people call it at times.  I don't anymore. When you love something so much, it's barely a sacrifice.  A job over your child? Time to travel versus your child?  Being a mom, these things don't even cross your mind.  Perhaps the juggling of time to try to fit everything in. Now that I am a mom, I know once I feel like I am sacrifiying anything, is when I have forgotten my most precious gift from God. My son.

Things I know for sure now even though this is all fairly new to me is that the biggest gift I could give my son is to just be there - to listen to him, to be present in his life, to laugh the hardest at his jokes and to uphold him always. Even though he doesn't talk yet, it's wonderful to see how excited he gets when we say "bravo"!! and we clap our hands and how he glees with excitement at his little achievements. It´s priceless.  It melts my heart!  In my books, it is so much  better to have a spoilt kid than to have an uncared for child. To have a child that thinks he's the most beautiful thing that has existed to mankind than see him live with self doubt.
 
 I thank God for everything constantly, for this little miracle at large.
Now I have the biggest responsibility to date  - to raise him to be pleasing in God's eyes.
  So far, being a mother beats every other thing I have done in my life! It's so fulfilling.
 
 I'm a proud Mother to my son.
  Luis Andrés Unda Mathews, you are so so loved!!
 
Happy Mother's Day 2013 to us mums who share such a special bond  xx
My husband Luis shot this one of restful LA one fine Sunday afternoon 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment