July 15, 2011

Brazilians

My first close encounter with Brazilians was during my first ever trip to South America. I was 23 yrs of age and was taking a flight from New Zealand to Chile. I had a couple of Brazilians sitting next to me and they were the friendliest bunch - they exert such energy.  The loveliest of lovely people I've ever come across. I was quite amused.  
We quickly bonded and my long journey ahead was looking quite delightful. 
Years have past, and they still bring so much joy to my life. I'm at a Spanish School (Woodward's) which I highly recommend. The owner is a New Zealander and his wife, a Chilean. This all fits in nicely with my history where I spent most of my critical years of education in New Zealand.  Everything is tailored to the students needs
[ A bit of publicity for Rob, if you're reading this] ;)
 Oh, I'm loving it! 
At school, I've met the nicest Brazilians. Just yesterday, I couldn't stop laughing, as this girl kept cracking jokes during our communication class.  It's nice to finally be able to laugh at a Spanish joke.  Sure beats laughing 10 seconds or more after everyone has stopped; when I've finally come around to figuring it out or after someone has explained it (which was sadly more the case!)  So joyful joyful - I'm excited.  Language becomes the most critical thing in a country where less than 2% of working adults speak a moderate level of English ( Chile Business Magazine, 2007). Anyhow, these Brazilians surely make learning fun with their free spirited nature. Just last week, I took a leap in the dark to having a cuppa with a Brazilian -  La Agatta. The first thing that crossed my mind as she asked me, was flashes of us both at Starbucks gazing into each others' eyes. She speaks no English and myself zilch of Portuguese. So imagine. However, thank heavens!  To my great surprise, we had such a ball. We're both in the same respectable level at the Spanish School, but of course that doesn't mean a thing. The good news  -  we didn't have to divert, go window shopping, pick up a newspaper or worst
- make an "emergency call":)
  That would have been some story to tell.
We chatted like long time friends and something tells me, I've made a friend for life. I miss her already as she's back in Sao Paulo for a short break.
 I'm loving Spanish and I'm excited for more. I'm even finding this Chilean Spanish intriguing where a few months back I would have cringed as they went about happily slaughtering their words in half and lazily leaving their sentences unfinished in a speedy manner.
 Every country has their little thing, and Chile has it too of course - just lots of it.
 For a matter of fact, books have been written about it :)
I've concluded - what better way to learn the Spanish language than to be in a country such as Chile. I'm starting to believe, no actually, I'm convinced that when I understand Chilean Spanish, I would be so so fine in other parts of the world! On top of that, I'm married to a Chilean that speaks five languages!
- there is serious motivation all around me to learn everything there is to know about beautiful Chile.
 No time for excuses Marsha. Time to get on top of the language!


No comments:

Post a Comment