March 5, 2014

Once a Week, A Malaysian Meal

Unsettling things are happening in Malaysia, my birthplace. From corruption to violation. Just last week, a maid kills 2 young children under her trusted care, made headlines.  Any crime, you  name it. Not shocking,  Kuala Lumpur makes it high on the list of the most dangerous cities to live in.  Am I fortunate to be living away?  thoughts like this cross my mind,
thoughts I thought I'll never have to entertain.
These matters, never hit me as profoundly as it does today,  having a little one to care for, it's unthinkable to fathom all the fear, it's really sad
 just those chills you never ever want to feel,  eats at me
I feel it to the bone and I'm miles away.
 
At this time and age, being a mom is a whole different ball game.
Really hoping things settle. I recall the stories of my father, of how they played after school, dragging along their toys made of cans, carefree...gone are those days.
 How would life be for my precious little LA?
 
On a different note, I had a Malaysian friend leave Chile and head back to Malaysia,  so I'm once again blessed with another remarkable friendship that I'll forever treasure plus I have spices, ingredients and more -  flavors and prices one can only savor in Malaysia.
 
 When melancholy kicks in, I try new recipes. As a couple, before LA, recalling our life in Australia,  Luis and I would pick a recipe and we would get all excited in the process of getting the ingredients,  just to try a new recipe a week - it used to be our thing and still is when time allows it. I really treasure these precious times, music in the background, his tender soft kisses,  the sips of wine and his engaging smiles.  These days come, but not too often juggling a child,  how I treasure them. Parents alike will concur, I'm sure.
On the bright side, it makes me really appreciate my relationship at a different level.
  The kind you can only feel when you have a child.

Getting back to the recipes..
 Luis has been a lot better and has tried out a couple of recipes from our Jamie Oliver's recipe book-Jamie's Italy. He tried the aubergine and tomatoes a Sicilian recipe.
 
 During our memorable year in Sydney, we tried out a couple of Chilean recipes.  I  thought of doing the exact same thing - you know, to really try out the dishes from my own roots. So thanks to rasamalaysia.com, I've tried out her stringy french beans and her black bean fish recipe.
Luis said, " These flavours are only in Malaysia".
  I felt the same, it's nice to be able to get most of the ingredients here,
but mom does stock me up when I need.
The dried prawns certainly was the key!


 
 
Of course I have to forward gratitude to having the time to cook. So...
Thanks to my gorgeous boy who found the sugar bag
and flour mixing bowl the coolest thing in the kitchen!
 
 

 Luis Andrés, mom thinks you're just the best!


Between Luis and I, when we touch down in Malaysia next, we're gonna eat, eat and eat!
What's your top ten dishes in Malaysia?
Luis has a mental list and so do I





 
.
 

1 comment:

  1. What a great little ritual to have between you and Luis. Unfortunately in my case, I am the sole chef in the house. You are definitely blessed to have someone like Luis who is very passionate about cooking and food. BTW little Luis looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete